Each year, a highlight of Destination Canada’s teaching program is the International English Speech Competition.
A program expectation is that each student plan, research and deliver a speech. The topic of speech is of individual preference in order to make the presentation more engaging and passionate. Once prepared, each student presents their speech to their class and classroom teacher.
One student is selected from each class to move onto the semi-finals where they present their speech to all students in the University auditorium. Three senior finalists and three junior finalists are then selected to compete in the final round of the International Speech Competition.
During the finals of the Speech Competition, a panel of distinguished judges listens to each speech and then follows with a question period which competitors have to answer without preparation.
After careful deliberation, the judges select two winners, one senior and one junior, as the official champions of the International English Speech Competition. The two winners are awarded an Apple IPAD and a trophy to celebrate their victory.
- Senior Champion – Fraziska Lammert from Germany
- Junior Champion – Saul Moran from Mexico
- Senior Champion – Gabriel Morin from Quebec, Canada
- Junior Champion – Javier Morales from Mexico
- Senior Champion – Phillipp Luderer from Germany
- Junior Champion – Maria Gonzalez from the Dominican Republic
- Senior Champion – Oscar Hernandez from Mexico
- Junior Champion – Nathaly Calvo from Colombia
- Senior Champion – Daniela Mejia from Mexico
- Junior Champion – Emiliano Jaspeado Oseguera from Mexico